We made it!
Monday we received confirmation that our rental was settled. Ahhhhh. That was such a HUGE relief. We have a safe, comfortable place to live. Bonus: it also has a community pool and beach access and a little (albeit overpriced) tiki snack bar. Nice. Very nice.
Tuesday was travel day. 1 mommy + 1 daddy + one 2-year-old girl + one 4-year-old boy + 4 large suitcases + 4 carry-on bags + 2 car seats + 1 shuttle van + 2 airplanes + 2 airport tram rides + one pickup van in St. Croix with 8 seats and 12 passengers (and luggage for 10 of those) + 2 rental cars + 1 hotel room = 1 very long day!
Actually, the kids did remarkably well on travel day. All of our planning paid off and we were ready BEFORE the airport shuttle van came to pick us up. When we left the house was as tidy as it's been in ages (not clean, but that will be taken care of soon). Things went smoothly for flight and the kids did a great job on the airplanes. Our Little Firefighter wore his fire helmet, of course, and really enjoyed the airport tram in Miami. Baby Doll was fascinated with the van, of all things, and made a few friends along the way. They both fell asleep once we were in the rental cars on our way to our hotel for the night.
Driving on the left side wasn't bad the first night; there were very few people on the road. It took concentration, though, because the steering wheel is still on the left. So, other than the KEEP LEFT sticker on the left side of the windshield, there isn't much to keep you aware between intersections. There are still two yellow lines down the center of the road and white lines on the outer edges; it looks just like home. Well, many of the roads here are pretty beaten up and patched and re-patched (or not patched at all) so I guess it would be more accurate to say that it looks like home if you live in Lake Linganore or Punta del Este, Uruguay.
Wednesday was move-in day including a trip to a local grocery. That's an entry all it's own. I'll get to that later.
We have very comfortable beach-y accommodations with a lovely view and a fabulous soundtrack: wind and waves. Ahhhhh. After a morning and picnic lunch on the beach the children are sleeping and this is bliss: no talking, no shouting, no TV, no trucks, no phone, just the music of the wind through the palms and the sea crashing on the rocks and the shore.
I'm just going to leave you with that: quiet.
Lord, this is beautiful.
I have been yearning for quiet. I've been so busy and surrounded with noise for so long that I haven't been able to listen for your still small voice. I've missed it. I've missed You. I know that I'm the one who hasn't kept in touch. It's never been my strength. Just as I am still so thirsty - parched - from the travel down here, I am parched for your presence. I have filled every day, practically every minute, with everyday tasks, excessive obligations, and noise of all sorts. I haven't been able to keep a space for You; well, not one large enough to make a difference. I keep trying to change my pattern, but end up right here time and time again.
It seems fitting that our move-in day here was the first day of Lent. Lent is a season of preparation, of reshaping. I was looking out at the rocks in the ocean today. They are stunning. They have been shaped and smoothed by wave after wave of the sea. Help me remain committed to being shaped by You, and not by a too-busy world and life. Help me to prepare a space for you. Help me to take advantage of this tremendous opportunity to reshape and be reshaped.
So thankful for your safe travel and for your time with the wind and the waves. I am praying for you...for quiet and contemplation and peace. Missing you and sending love to your precious family. XXXOOO
ReplyDelete